The Little Things
My love of cycling can be complex, especially this time of the year, as I explained last week. Some days it takes all my effort to get kitted up and out the door. Most of the time, though, my love of cycling has nothing to do with what it does for my health, that I’m saving the environment or any other ‘big picture’ stuff. Rather, it’s about the little things.
If we rode bikes only because it was good for us, then we would have an easier time skipping that extra donut in the office, or not spending hours binge-watching Scandal. Rather, it’s something about the bike, and cycling, that keeps us coming back for more.
Here are my little things that, over time, add up to a powerful addiction.
- the feeling of drinking a coffee with a cycling cap on
- at the start of the ride or race, the sound of everyone clipping in
- not having to change your line mid-turn on a descent
- a ride where I feel no pain except for the soreness in my muscles
- putting a bike together, and finding it fits perfectly
- completely trusting the person in front of the paceline
- PRs on an easy ride
- becoming a salt lick for the puppies at home
Everyone has those little things they ride for, whether it’s having your spouse or kids join in, or finding a new trail in the woods. What are yours?