Stay Safe: When the Sun Hits You in the Eyeballs

If you had trouble deciphering the Canadian accent (man, I really need to work on that), here are the main points from the video.

How to stay safe when the sun is on the horizon and is blinding you (and the drivers):

  1. Choose a route that avoids the sun being situated directly behind you.
  2. Wear polarized sunglasses

If you are in a vehicle, slow down when the sun is in your face and blinding you from seeing the road properly.

If you are a cyclist, don’t assume that a vehicle can see you…if the sun is behind you, all the might see is a glare in their face and totally not see you at all.

Stay safe out there my cycling friends.

  • austincyclist

    Hey, all good points, but you’re really missing the biggest point. If you don’t want to get hit, make sure you can be seen. That means using something like a planet bike superflash (brightest on planet except the niterider torch or whatever its called) and a headlight that is 100 lumens or greater.. (I like the minewt USB @ 150 lumens from niterider). Add a bright green, orange, red, vest.
    Doing everything right, some cyclists still need to take roads that are blinding by dusk/darkness and/or sunrise/set, following what you said will protect them 60% of the way, being seen is the other 40%.

  • Pedalman

    What accent? Haha! Great post, many people forget that it only takes a second for the sun to hit your eyes and an accident to happen.