Who is the Best Bike Mechanic?
Who do you feel is the best bike mechanic out there? We all love our bikes, right….so when it comes time to get them serviced we don’t trust just anyone to do the job. Some of you out there are knowledgable enough to do your own repairs, but for most cyclists we need to rely on the expertise of others. But who is the best mechanic out there and what constitutes a great mechanic anyway?
What makes a good bike mechanic?
- Honesty – Being able to admit when something isnt right. Being able to ask for help. Being able to tell the customer the truth about their bike and the service the shop is providing.
- Humility – Again, knowing when to be able to admit fault and being able to ask questions.
- Attention to Detail – It takes twice as long to go back and fix bad work, or mistakes, as it does to take an extra couple mins to do it right the first time.
- Sense of Humor – Sometimes things dont go right, and you just have to laugh at why.
- Cleanliness of mechanic and shop
- Specialization in the kind of riding you do
- Highly recommended mechanics by others how are similar to you
Okay, so we’ve told you what to look for in a bike mechanic….but which ones out there are so incredible that they just have to be mentioned as expert mechanics?
We want you to leave your comments below letting us know who your favorite bike mechanic is and what makes them so dang good. We hope to hear from all of you…from around the world so that we know who the best mechanics are out there no matter where we happen to find ourselves riding.
To get things started, we’ve included a few bike mechanics/shops who have been recognized as the best in their city through reader’s poll and voting.
Chicago, IL – Marcus Moore
Chicago bike mechanic, Marcus Moore from Yojimbo’s Garage is a former bike messenger, founder of a local amateur racing team called XXX, and Yojimbo’s owner. People say “he’s an undeniably great wrench with a laser focus on customer needs, but what really makes him special is his willingness to do anything to help a fellow cyclist—even if that means recommending another shop when he’s fully booked.”
Toronto, ON – Bike Sauce
According to the readers polls in Toronto, Ontario the best bicycle mechanics are found at Bike Sauce. “This is a place where you can fix your bicycle using our tools and recycled or new parts. If you dont know how to fix it, our volunteers will be there to help you. It is also be a social space where you can come and meet with your neighbours and figure out how to improve our city.”